Animal Control

Animal Control serves the town by responding to issues related to animals that are lost or found or reported as potentially abused. The Animal Control officer position is currently vacant, please direct all calls to the Town Manager at (802)226-7291. 

Situations involving wild animals should not be directed to this office, but instead to the local game warden who can be reached via the state police dispatch (802) 722-4600.

Animal Control Ordinance
Cavendish residents, taxpayers and visitors to the town should also be aware that Cavendish does have an Animal Control Ordinance. A copy of this ordinance, which has been in effect since 1999, is posted at the Town Office and copies are available to anyone requesting same. Please stop by the office, call or write us to request a copy.

dog Licenses

All dogs residing within the Town are required by state law to be licensed. Licenses expire on April 1st each year. A valid rabies certificate must be on file in the Town Office in order to obtain or renew dog licenses. Neutered male certificates and spayed female certificates must be presented to the Town Clerk at the time of licensing.

Rates for 2019

Dogs registered on or before April 1st:
$9 - Neutered Male or Spayed Female
$13- Male or Female

Dogs registered after April 1st:
$11 -  Neutered Male or Spayed Female
$17 - Male or Female

Screen Shot 2017-09-04 at 12.13.33 PM.png


There are nine cemeteries in Cavendish; three are still active and have lots for sale. For burial information and lot prices, contact the Cemetery Sexton, Bruce McEnaney, at (802) 875-4771.  



Screen Shot 2017-09-04 at 11.51.36 AM.png

Emergency Planning

Robert C. Glidden is Cavendish's Emergency Management Director. Cavendish Town Elementary School (802) 226-7758, Cavendish Baptist Church (802) 226-7131, and the Proctorsville Fire Department (802) 226-7281 all may serve as an emergency shelter. 

Download: Emergency Supply List (.PDF)

Other Resources

Fire & Rescue

Cavendish is home to two volunteer fire departments, the Cavendish Volunteer Fire Department and the Proctorsville Volunteer Fire Department

The Town Fire Warden is Roger Sheehan; he can be reached at (802) 226-7692. Fire Warden Key Men include Robert W. Glidden (802) 226-7692, Raymond Fitzgibbons (802) 226-7288, and Shane Turco (802) 342-3935. Please contact the Fire Warden or one of his Key Men to obtain a Burn Permit, which is required for all open burning of yard and garden debris.

Download: Open Burning Information (.PDF)


Health & Safety

Our Town Health Officer is Doris Eddy, who can be reached at (802) 554-0116 (home), or (802) 558-5670 (cell). Town Health officers are concerned with public health hazards and public health risks. Learn more about the duties of the Town Health Officer via the Vermont Department of Health.


Highway Department

The Cavendish Town Highway Department is located at 157 Route 131. Please contact the Town Manager at (802) 226-7291 to report any concerns with the Town Highways. 

Alphonso (Phon) Chambers is the Highway Foreman and the other full-time members of the highway crew are Bill Bigwood, Kurt Rushton and Larry Kempf.

Screen Shot 2017-09-04 at 1.00.52 PM.png

Water & Sewage Department

The Municipal Water and Wastewater Systems serve residences within the villages of Cavendish and Proctorsville. Any concerns with water and wastewater services should be directed to the Town Manager at (802) 226-7291. Billing questions should be directed to the Town Clerk’s Office at (802) 226-7292.

The Chief Water/Wastewater Operator is Randall "Randy" Shimp.

Consumer Confidence Report: View the 2019 Report (.pdf)

Wastewater Plant Physical Address: 39 Power Plant Road, Cavendish, VT
Water Plant Physical Address: 148 Mill Street, Cavendish, VT