For your convenience, several documents, forms, and applications have been uploaded here. If you have a question, please feel encouraged to contact us or give the town office a call at (802) 226-7292

Property Tax Assessment: Application for Grievance

The application for grievance can assist you in your preparation for grievance day hearings. Please use one application for each property you are appealing. Have questions about the appealing process? See the Vermont Institute for Government's guide to property tax assessment appeals.  

Download: Application for Grievance (.PDF)

dog License

Rates for 2019

Dogs registered on or before April 1st:

$9 - Neutered Male or Spayed Female
$13- Male or Female

Dogs registered after April 1st:

$11 -  Neutered Male or Spayed Female
$17 - Male or Female

Rabies shots are good for 36 months (except for dogs under 2 years of age which are required every 12 months). Rabies certificates must be filed in the Town Clerk's Office. Neutered male certificates and spayed female certificates must be presented to the Town Clerk at the time of licensing. 

Animal Control Ordinance
Cavendish residents, taxpayers and visitors to the town should also be aware that Cavendish does have an Animal Control Ordinance. A copy of this ordinance, which has been in effect since 1999, is posted at the Town Office and copies are available to anyone requesting same. Please stop by the office, call or write us to request a copy. 

Marriage License

Marriage licenses may be purchased at the town office through the town clerk for $60; they are valid for 60 days from the date issued. If you are marrying here in Vermont, but you and your partner are both not Vermont residents, you may get your license from any town clerk in the state. If both parties are Vermont residents, you may purchase your license from the town clerk in either of your towns of residence. If only one of you is a resident of Vermont, the license must be purchased through the town clerk of that individual's town. After your wedding ceremony, your officiant will complete the license; the license becomes a marriage certificate. It must be returned to the town clerk's office where it was issued within 10 days after the wedding so that the marriage can be officially registered. For answers to more of your questions about getting married in Vermont, please see this guide of frequently asked questions from the Department of Health.

Download: Application for Vermont License of Civil Marriage (.PDF)

Birth and Death Certificates

Certified copies of Vermont Birth or Death Certificates may be requested from the Town Clerk’s office by filling out the Application below. Certified copies are $10 each.

Download: Application for Certified Copy of Vermont Birth or Death Certificate (.PDF)

Permit Applications

Download: Town of Cavendish: Application for Building Permit (.PDF)

Do you need a state permit? The Permit Assistance Program is part of the Environmental Assistance Office, a non-regulatory branch of the Vermont Department of Environmental Conservation. A Wastewater System & Potable Water Supply Permit may be required for the subdivision of land or construction, modifications, or changes in use of buildings and structures. An Act 250 permit may also be required; Act 250 is Vermont's development and control law. Contact a permit specialist for advice on determining what permits you may need for your building project. 

Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC)
100 Mineral Street, Suite #303
Springfield, Vermont 05156

DEC Permit Specialist | Ph. 802.279.4747
DEC Water/Wastewater Program | Ph. 802.289.0631
Act 250 |  Ph. 802.289.0599

Transfer Station

Recycling and trash disposal at the transfer station is by permit. Permits are available to Cavendish residents and property owners at the Cavendish Town Office. Permits may be obtained in person or via mail.

Download: Transfer Station Registration Form (.PDF)